Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Started work at 6am! It was nice and cool, but by 9:30 it felt officially "hot." We had 400 eggplant to put in two beds, but we could only get one of beds done in the morning, as we had too start harvest. G harvested lettuce and cabbage for wholesale, while C and I harvested scallions and beets. We finished harvest around 11, and C and I set out on a weeding task. C see is very sensitive to the heat, and after a few minutes got up and went inside. I understand, but was mildly frustrated. G came by and told me he was going to power out the second bed of eggplant by himself. By this time it was 90 degrees out and even hotter in the field, but we had already set the plants out, and they wouldn't fare well ( or last all) without getting in the ground and watered. I offered to help. We both poured ourselves large jars of water mixed with an electrolyte-providing powder and set out. Finishing an hour and a half later, I was hot as hell, sweatier than I'd ever been and, my knees were tender from so much kneeling, but looking out at the long row of plants receiving water through the drip, I felt accomplished. G confirmed this, calling it "a brutal sense of satisfaction." Brutal referring to our sorry state.

I was definitely due for lunch. I ate leftovers then took an hour long nap, waking sweaty. It is another 96 degree day.

We will meet up again at six for a couple more hours of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment