Tuesday, June 4, 2013


Cold morning in June
Still morning crickets sing soft
River runs steady

I like sitting in the outdoor kitchen in the morning, facing the fields and the river. You can't see the river, but you can hear it. Drinking coffee, reading, but mostly just sitting quietly and listening.

Friday we had a long harvest day. Lettuce was first up, due to its fragile disposition. Then hundreds of scallions (my fingers are still sore from peeling the outer skins off,) savoy and red cabbage, broccoli, and a great quantity of beets. 
We worked for hours, and finally got the truck packed around 9pm. Living on the coast for the past couple of years I have missed the gentle, warm summer nights I used to love. It was a delicious feeling night- the kind you want to drink in, or maybe swim in.

G said the market went wonderfully. Many compliments on the produce, and he returned to the farm completely empty-handed: he had sold everything.

I had a relaxing weekend. It got what-I-thought-was-warm, about 85. But yesterday rocketed to 96, and today has peaked at 97. Both days we worked/will work a split shift, working early until about 1 (at which point it was HOT) and resuming for a couple of hours in the evening. Fellow wwofer and I have been taking refuge from the heat in our small cabin which stays fairly cool. He is not used to the heat, and not feeling great. I am uncomfortably warm, but feel OK. I think my body must have a memory for the heat. 

It is supposed to continue to be hot, and I predict some early morning starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment